Sunday, October 21, 2012

FUSE musings.

If you're actually trying to write a real file system (not just a pass-through or a filter) then you need to keep track of files, directories, links, open reference counts, path lookup - i.e. the typical common file system baggage that in any self-respecting operating system already has a well-debugged and tuned implementation, like VFS in *nixes, IFS in NT and FSS in ESX.

For FUSE, I'm surprised that no one made a generic file system metadata implementation or library that could be consumed by things that are more complicated than sshfs and the like. I suppose I should take a look at "real" file systems like ntfs-3g and the FUSE ZFS port, although I think I already know what I'm going to find... I suppose there's definite sport in writing your own ;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment